Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscars Review

Well, the Oscars telecast was certainly a mixed bag.


Hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco
I found Anne Hathaway to be a charming, cute host…. nothing game changing, but she certainly did the trick. James Franco, however? Aside from his foray into drag, every time he opened his mouth, the bit fell flat and the segment dragged. He almost seemed to be under the influence of… something. Safe to say that hosting a live event like this is not his strong point.


The show itself
I don’t think it’s any secret which awards make for interesting TV: The acting awards, Best Director, Screenplay, Score, Song and, of course, Picture. Obviously, all the other awards are important… but interesting? Not so much. I don’t know about you, but I don’t know what the different between sound mixing and sound editing is, nor do I really care. I’m not saying cut the boring awards from the show completely, no…. but certainly don’t put them all together, one after another. Snoozefest. It almost seemed like tonight’s telecast came in three acts: the first (opening through Best Supporting Actor) and last (Best Director through the end) were interesting, the middle coma-inducing. This seems like common sense to me…


The Awards Outcomes
This year’s awards lacked suspense, really, until the final award. The awards went more or less where I figured they would…. and where I was wrong, they went to my second choice. Yep, I’m patting myself on the back… it’s my blog. Good job, Timm. Thanks, Timm!


Anyhoo, a moderately entertaining Oscars tonight. Soorner or later they’ll put all the pieces together right and create a strong telecast, but until then…. let’s see what random host(s) they’ll get next year!


Aaaand…. this officially finishes Oscar Watch 2010!