Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar Predictions!

It’s finally Oscar day, so I should probably make my final Oscar predictions, eh?


Best Score - The Social Network - Watch the movie and pay attention to the score. The score is perfectly influence by the music you’d hear at any college party, which fits the film just right. Great stuff. Inception’s score was also great, but Trent Reznor’s score is unlike anything else this season.


Best Supporting Actress - Haille Steinfeld, True Grit - I’m a little torn on this award. I previously figured Melissa Leo to be a lock for The Fighter, but something tells me it’ll be Steinfeld. I’d vote for Leo, personally, but Steinfeld gave a great performance.


Best Supporting Actor - Christian Bale, The Fighter - No contest, really. The only actor with a chance to pull off the upset is Geoffrey Rush, but I can’t see it happening.


Best Actress - Natalie Portman, Black Swan - Annette Benning has a shot here, I’d say…. but this award deserves to go to Portman.


Best Actor - Colin Firth, The King’s Speech - Like the last two…. this one’s a lock. If, for whatever reason, the Academy loses its mind and forgets to vote for Firth, I’d look for Jesse Eisenberg.


Best Director - David Fincher, The Social Network - I could easily see Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan) or Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) taking this, but I’ll go with Fincher here. While all three directors got spectacular performances out of their cast, there was something about Fincher’s work that made everything so smooth, so natural, so seamless. 


Best Picture - The Social Network - Obviously, this award could go either way. I can easily see the Academy voting with a nod to the present and future for all the political reasons, or voting with the historical drama. That’s not to slight either film: both are truly spectacular in their own ways. I’d be happy with either one, but in my mind, The Social Network was the best film of 2010.


And there you have it! As I posted about yesterday, I am so very glad I took this challenge again this year, as I feel quite lucky to see such a great group of films. I look forward to, first, watching the “drama” play out tonight, and, secondly, to do this all over again next year.