Thursday, February 24, 2011

My review of 127 HOURS


Media_httpmediatumblr_tlgie


Great leading performance. Great direction. But I can’t get past the subject matter. Spoilers within.


This is a movie that, for me, was doomed from the beginning. I am something of a squeamish person. I can handle people getting shot up in movies - it’s quick, and we’ve all been desensitized. I can handle people getting chopped in half, limbs severed by lightsabers or what have you - it’s so unrealistic that it’s almost comical. But realistic things? I cannot handle it. If movie characters vomit, I get queasy. If people are visibly bludgeoned, I get queasy. If someone is visibly stabbed, I get queasy. If someone visibly severs their own arm, I get nauseous. 


Even the idea of it makes me nauseous. 


At first, I heard Danny Boyle was following up the magnificent SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE with a story of survival after a rock climbing accident. I was intrigued… then when I read into the incident, I swore never to see the movie. Of course, it was Oscar nominated, so to finish my quest, I had to do it. Clearly, however, I was dragging my feet. 


Anyhoo, enough about that. Review. Go.


James Franco is quickly proving to be one of the more varied and versatile actors in Hollywood. Frankly, I’m convinced he’s striving to be the actor in Hollywood with the most random resumé (and doing a damn good job of it). in 127 HOURS, Franco takes steps towards becoming a bonafide star. In what is effectively a one-actor film, Franco absolutely shines. Will he win the Oscar? Probably not…. but he absolutely deserves his nomination. I simply cannot wait to see what his next (random) project will be.


For me, the other star of this movie is Danny Boyle’s wonderfully stylized direction. I loved his work in SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, and I think I loved it even more here. I can see how other people would find some of his choices distracting and overdone, forced perhaps, but I completely enjoyed it. In a movie where no much happens, and what does happen is all in the character’s head, you have to find some way to keep the audience interested and visually stimulated, and Boyle most certainly does that. 


Removing the queasy scene from the equation, I enjoyed this film very, very much. I can’t foresee Best Picture Oscar gold for the film, or an Oscar for James Franco (this time….), but still a good flick. I’d recommend it to people with strong stomachs… or at least those who have a good distraction when the time comes!