Friday, January 21, 2011

A reminder that the Oscars are more about politics than the films they award...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/race/kings-speech-beat-social-network-...


 


Not to make this year’s Oscar race into a fight between King George VI and Mark Zuckerberg, but this blog post by THR annoys me. I know it’s the truth, that producers jockey for position and hope to get that last lick in before voting closes…. but still, annoying. Shouldn’t the Best Picture Oscar be about, I don’t know, awarding the best motion picture of the year? All award shows are like this, I’m fully aware, but it’s just so… slimy. 


I have two more movies on my list that I intend to see, hopefully this weekend if I find the motivation: THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT and BLUE VALENTINE. Once I see those two films, hopefully before Tuesday’s Oscar nominations, I’ll post my picks. Fingers crossed!


*For those keeping track, I have indeed struck two movies from the AFI List from my own (preliminary) list: WINTER’S BONE and 127 HOURS. Should the nominations require I see these two, I’ll do it for completists sake, to accomplish what I set out to do, but for now, they are omitted.