Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My review of THE KING'S SPEECH





Probably the most critically acclaimed film on my list…. and yep, I got it.


Spoiler: This is more acclaim.


Any review of this film must start with praise of Colin Firth. And since I’m late to the party, there isn’t anything I could possibly say that hasn’t been said before, I will leave it at this: a truly stunning performance that will be awarded come Oscar time.


Geoffrey Rush… same thing. Absolutely superb performance, he and Christian Bale are in one hell of a race.


I also must re-affirm my love for Helena Bonham Carter. While her role in THE KING’S SPEECH isn’t reallt anything we havent seen from her before, she is rock solid as usual.


Every year, there’s a film in the Best Picture race that not many people have seen that wins all sorts of awards, the type of thing that earns the Academy the “elitist” tag its often slapped with. This film is quite likely that film. Many critics have called this the frontrunner going into the home stretch… I’d say its right there with THE SOCIAL NETWORK (since I can’t see TOY STORY 3 taking the award).