Sunday, January 16, 2011

2011 GOLDEN GLOBES Instant Reaction

So, the Golden Globes just ended…. some quick thoughts.



  • Ricky Gervais is a GREAT host for something like this. Polarizing comic, absolutely, but I loved him. His jokes clearly show who in Hollywood is a good sport, and who takes themselves far too seriously.

  • THE SOCIAL NETWORK cleaned house…. just as I suspected.

  • I haven’t seen all the movies I want to see yet (I’m down to RABBIT HOLE, BLUE VALENTINE and THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT), but I’m quite happy with all the major awards. Of the big awards (acting, best motion picture, screenplay, director), the only qualm I had was Christopher Nolan not winning Best Director… though I can’t fault the choice of David Fincher. If I may toot my own horn, all of the predictions I made to friends and family were accurate. Go me!

  • The Golden Globes have proved that TV is not their strength. I love GLEE, I really do, but it has no business winning Best Comedy/Musical TV Series. The show has far too many plot issues/continuity gaffs/ridiculousness to be considered for that award. MODERN FAMILY, the Emmy winner, was robbed (though as expected, as it happened last year too). The same is true in the Best Drama TV Series, as well: I enjoyed BOARDWALK EMPIRE well enough, but it seemed like something was missing (though, full disclosure, I haven’t seen the full season). To have the show winning over shows like MAD MEN and DEXTER? Laughable.

  • The TV acting awards were also wrong, in my book. I like Jane Lynch for supporting actress over Sofia Vergara (bucking the popular trend)…. but I hate the idea of Chris Colfer over Eric Stonestreet. Stonestreet is giving one the best performances on TV, while Colfer comes off a large chunk of the time as whiny and annoying (though I’ll fully blame the writing). Also, Steve Buscemi as Best Actor in a Drama Series? Keeping in mind my full disclosure statement from the last bullet, there is absolutely no way he should have won that award, if you ask me. Hamm, Hall, Cranston, Laurie…. yeah. Fail.

In all, I enjoyed tonight’s Golden Globes, just as I suspected I would, and it’s all because I saw the films. Imagine that, right? I can’t wait for the Oscars now, nominations announced on January 25th!