Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Nearly an EPIC #timmfail

I try to travel to New York City for a mini-vacation once every 6 months or so, when my bank account allows. I went in early November... it's now May. My sanity is slipping, so I need to get away. So, trip = go.

First thing's first, I figured out what shows I wanted to see. Spider-Man, Book of Mormon, Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Anything Goes, The Normal Heart, Catch Me If You Can, Sister Act, War Horse... all shows on my list. I looked for discounts, plotted out performance schedules, all that good stuff. I settled on May 16th - May 19th. 

Here's where the #timmfail starts.

A few days passed, then I set out to purchase tickets. First, Spider-Man. I found a discount for balcony seats that weren't terrible, so I looked for what performance could get me the best seat. May 17th gave me a third row seat, but Mar 24 gets me first row center. Why couldn't I go a week later? That's fine. Booked. Then came The Normal Heart. I pull up my discount code.... and I was reminded why I picked the 16th-19th. The code expires Sunday the 22nd. However, #timmfail averted. I simply shifted the dates from the 22nd - 26th... with a bonus being that I can see an extra show. I was annoyed with myself, but in all, it works out. I got a front row mezzanine ticket for The Normal Heart, and I'm set to go.

At that point, it hit me that I was doing things in the wrong order.... place to stay first. I go to my usual hostel.... and no vacancies. Ruh roh. #timmfail. But, again, EPIC qualification avoided, since I found another place to stay that wasn't horribly priced, a place that actually works pretty well. 

All these #timmfails got me thinking... why else did I plan on the 16th-19th? I didn't have any other discounts or anything, but I had a feeling there was something else pushing me away from the last week in May. Then it hit me.... the Glee season finale is scheduled for May 24th. Fail. Oh, and the American Idol finale is the 25th. EPIC fail. That said, both those are easily fixed... Glee can be watched on Hulu, Idol on rickey.org. I'm making it a point to be home and in front of my TV for the final results show on the 26th. Can't miss that.

Hopefully this trip doesn't turn out to be doomed like the planning process has been. If it does.... I may be taking a prolonged absence from NYC for my own sanity!