Wednesday, May 25, 2011

American Idol S10: The Finals

Haley :-(


Now, I know my prediction last week was off. I know I changed my initial prediction of a Lauren/Scotty finale to a Haley/Lauren finale.... but I'm still going to pat myself on the back. I never wrote about it (yeah, yeah, what of it?), but I read a spoiler late last year that someone named Scotty McCreery made the top 40, and that he was a country hearthrob. I watched a couple YouTube videos and agreed - this kid had to be a frontrunner. I've documented my choice of Lauren - from the moment she started singing with Steven Tyler in her audition, I figured she could be in this spot (and given how she was hailed as the second coming of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood, I knew it would be). 


I also know that this isn't exactly a popular finale. Are Scotty and Lauren the two most talented artists on Idol this year? Hard to determine, really, but I'll say no. Are they the best contestants on the show? Nope, not at all. How are they here? Probably more luck than anything else, with other perceived favorites falling on their faces more often. Whatever the case, this is one of the very few finales where both finalists have a legit chance of being successful in mainstream music (yes, haters, country is a mainstream genre of music). 


Without further introduction.... the finale.


I put myself on an online embargo from the beginning of my performance of SPIDER-MAN: TURN OFF THE DARK to prevent any sort of spoilers. I wasn't going to tonight, since "Scotty was good" or "Lauren was ok" isn't THAT big of a spoiler.... but then came TMZ. TMZ was reporting that Lauren was sick and might not perform and Haley was being called in... ok, phone off. Shocker, nothing came of it.




"Round 1: Songs Rehashed from Earlier in the Season" (title, all mine)


Scotty - Gone, by Montgomery Gentry

Not the song I remember most by Scotty from this past season, but a good choice.... and he does it better than I remember the first time. I like the cheesy baseball swing at the end, too. 


Lauren - Flat on the Floor, by Carrie Underwood

DEFINITELY not the song I remember most by Lauren.... and I'm not so sure if this is the best choice. But this is approximately eleventy billion times better than her awkward attempt at this song the first time around. Lauren's voice is obviously not 100%, not as clear as it normally is... but it totally works for the song. Well done!



Round One.... oh man. Pretty close, actually... but I'll give the edge to Lauren.


"Round 2: Songs Chosen by People Who We've Unfairly Compared Our Teenage Finalists To"


Scotty - Check Yes or No, by George Strait (chosen by George Strait)

I love Scotty with the guitar. While a safe choice by Strait, it's a good one - the cut of the song is completely appropriate for someone of Scotty's age, which is sometimes an issue with country songs. But like I said, safe safe safe. Go on a limb, George Strait!


Lauren - Maybe It Was Memphis, by Pam Tillis

I wonder if this theme was originally songs by these artists, but Carrie changed hers for Lauren given her first song. Also, I see Carrie didn't dress Lauren... but she gave her a GREAT song choice. She could have gone with an safe choice (Temporary Home? Wheel of the World? ANY other Carrie song?), but she didn't.... and Lauren makes her look like a genius. Great performance, Lauren's raspiness again works wonders for the song. And you can tell from the foot stomp and smile that Lauren knows that she nailed it.



Round Two.... Lauren. 


"Round 3: Coronation Songs"


Scotty, I Love You This Big

Solid song choice, sitting just right in Scotty's voice, with mostly appropriate lyrics. A bit of a snoozer of a song, but it definitely works for him. 


Lauren, Like My Mother Does



As I'm watching this performance, I'm trying to formulate what to say.... but it all goes out the window with Lauren hugging her mother, visably near tears. I know it's easy to pull the emotional card for a performance like this.... but Lauren did it perfectly. 



Round Three... vocally Scotty, but performance-wise, all Lauren


There you have it! American Idol, season 10... in the books, aside from two hours worth of celebration before taking 15 seconds to name a winner. Interesting night tonight, with Scotty coasting on home, and a sick Lauren fighting for the title. Is it enough?


....I don't think so. Ousted contestants have complained of late that teen girls latch on to heartthrobs and vote like wild for them, which is exactly how I think this will end up. That said, I don't think it'll be a runaway victory - because teen girls also latch on to other teen girls (see: Swift, Taylor). My prediction? Scotty McCreery will be the 2011 American Idol (though I'm pulling for my girl Lauren!)