Wednesday, March 16, 2011

American Idol S10: Top 12

I’m starting to get a bit worried about this season. The semi-finals seemed to set up a season 8-like scenario, where any given week, you could envision 3/4 of the contestants actually winning. Two weeks later, and it appears like it could be one of three or four people. It’s still early, so I’m not giving up hope of a free-for-all just yet… but this week was more of the same from last week - some hits, some epic misses… but mostly meh.



I live-tweeted my thoughts tonight… so I’m going to copy/paste, for the most part.



  • Naima - What’s Love Got to Do With It?
    Naima…. eek. #ai10

  • Paul - I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues
    “Paul doing Elton John? This could be really good or really strange.#ai10”
    “This is one of those songs that I cannot help but sing along to…. but yeah, totally not digging Paul’s version. Not so much. #ai10

  • Thia - Colors of the Wind
    Thia is 9 years younger than me, almost to the day. #imold #ai10
    Boring song choice by Thia. I REALLY don’t get the constant comparisons to Michael Jackson or Adele for her. Jasmine Trias, maybe. #ai10
    For the record, I disliked Jasmine Trias. REALLY disliked Jasmine Trias. #ai10 #ai3 

  • James - I’ll Be There for You (Bon Jovi)
    Aaaaand James gets pyrotechnics. American Idol season 10, ladies and gentlemen! #ai10
    James has been the biggest surprise of the live and “live” shows so far for me. Now he’s got a cocky(ish) swagger going…. #ai10 #contender 

  • Haley - I’m Your Baby Tonight
    Haley’s doing Whitney. Oh boy. Train wreck watch! Also, Haley looks like Anna Camp to me. Anyone? Anyone? #ai10
    What. A. MESS. From the song choice to the arrangement to the lipstick EVERYWHERE. #ai10
    “I feel absolutely mortified for Haley right now. I’m assuming there are some epic tears backstage…. #ai10 

  • Stefano - If You Don’t Know Me By Now
    “Stefano’s parents are cute! As for the performance… should “we” be thinking of Stefano as a contender? I’m inclined to say yes… #ai10 

  • Pia - Where Do Broken Hearts Go?
    Pia (and her cloud suit) can do things other than soaring ballads? Say whaaa? That was good stuff. #ai10 

  • Scotty - Can I Trust You With My Heart?
    I love Scotty’s upper register. I’m with JLo. Love the deeper range, but the upper range is fantastic, too. #ai10 

  • Karen - Love Will Lead You Back
    Karen just performed. Meh. I do recall that she was dressed as a go-go dancer. #ai10 

  • Casey - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Good to know that Casey’s weirdness isn’t unique to just him in his family! #ai10
    Wait, is that an instrument? I’ll take this moment to mention how much I miss @timhalperin in this competition. #ai10
    I think that performance by Casey was more scary than good. I’m starting to think I don’t get Casey Abrams. #ai10 

  • Lauren - I’m the Only One
    PS. I’m predicting Melissa Etheridge’s “Come to My Window” for Lauren Alaina. And I couldn’t be more excited if she did that. #ai10
    I love Lauren Alaina. Sweet bounceback performance…. I’d love to hear her ripping into an Etheridge song healthy, though! #ai10 

  • Jacob - Alone
    Naturally, Jacob is going to sing one of my favorite songs. Naturally.#why #ai10
    I am not a Jacob Lusk fan. And that performance…. did NOTHING to sway my opinion. Ugh. #ai10

Winner of the Night: Stefano, Scotty, James and Lauren stood out for me tonight… in that order. So, my winner of the night? Stefano. If you told me during semi-final week that Stefano could be considered the dark horse this far in the competition, I’d laugh at you. And yes, I know that was only 2 weeks ago, but he struck me as cannon fodder off the bat. 
Loser of the Night: No question… Haley. Not only was her song choice completely wrong, but she was a complete and utter mess (both the performance and her lipstick). 
My prediction: The bottom three last week had Ashthon, Haley and Karen (who, btw, I had in my trouble spots, did I not?)…. I see no reason why Haley and Karen wouldn’t be there again. I’m going to guess that Naima or Thia will join them (though, again, I’m hoping it’s Jacob). For my prediction as to who’s going home…. I’ll say Haley.