Sunday, September 22, 2013

Predictions for The Emmys

In looking at the Emmy nominations, I realized I've actually seen a vast majority of the nominated shows and performers (at least on the drama side). As with the Oscars, I feel like I can actually have an informed opinion on the "races", at least in the major categories. So, why not blog about it? I'll also be providing the GoldDerby.com favorites as well, something I checked after writing my predictions.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad.
Gunn transformed the formerly loathed Skylar White into a truly sympathetic character, which I truly admire. In years past I'd say Hendricks, but 2013 was sadly light on Joanie. Also, why is Morena Baccarin here? (GoldDerby.com: Gunn)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad.
The only threat I can see to Paul is maybe Mandy Patinkin, probably the standout on Homeland this season. Jonathan Banks possibly too. But I'll go with Paul to repeat. He truly transforms Breaking Bad for the better, where a lesser actor would be a pushover. (GoldDerby.com: Patinkin)

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama: Jane Fonda, The Newsroom.
There is no contest here. I love Margo Martindale and Joan Cusack (who should be in supporting), but Fonda owns absolutely everything she was in on The Newsroom. (GoldDerby.com: Fonda)

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama... I'm not qualified to judge this one, as I haven't seen half the nominees. I'd go with Harry Hamlin from Mad Men based on the ones I have seen, though. (GoldDerby.com: Michael J. Fox, The Good Wife)

Outstanding Actress in a Drama: Clare Danes, Homeland.
I am picking this because I think she will win, not because I think she should win. Personally, I would vote for Robin Wright, someone I thought dominated the fantastic House of Cards. I'd say Danes was down from season 1 of Homeland, though I won't say she would be an undeserving winner. (GoldDerby.com: Danes)

Outstanding Actor in a Drama: Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad.
I want to vote Jon Hamm (maybe next year). I want to vote Jeff Daniels (I really do). But I'd be shocked if Cranston doesn't win this. Cranston has said in interviews that Walt White is the role of a lifetime... and he isn't kidding. But his performance is the performance of a lifetime. I don't know if Breaking Bad is eligible next year or not, but he'll win next year, too. And can we retroactively go back and give him Damian Lewis's win from last year? I still don't get that one. (GoldDerby.com: Cranston)

Outstanding Drama: Breaking Bad.
I want to vote House of Cards. I want to acknowledge Mad Men's return to sheer greatness... but doing so would deny Breaking Bad. Again, I have no idea how the eligibility of Breaking Bad will be handled for next year's Emmys, but the first half of the final season of the show was absolutely spectacular in every way. This is an easy choice. But where is the nomination for The Americans? SNUB. (GoldDerby.com: Breaking Bad)


I wish I could make picks on the comedy side, but I don't watch as many comedies as I do dramas. Plus, I see Parks and Recreation isn't nominated for Outstanding Comedy where Girls is, so it's a flawed exercise anyway. If this was a pool and you got points for right answers, though, I'd go all in on Modern Family, because it's obviously going to win everything anyway. Veep should, though. Veep is excellent.