Thursday, March 1, 2012

Idol 2012: Top 13 Revealed (with Wild Cards!)

I again opted to skip watching the live show tonight, so I'm writing this after the fact (again with help from mjsbigblog.com). My thoughts…

Top Ten
  • Phillip Phillips
  • Joshua Ledet
  • Heejun Han
  • Colton Dixon
  • Jermaine Jones
  • Jessica Sanchez
  • Hollie Cavanagh
  • Shannon Magrane
  • Skyler Laine
  • Elise Testone
No major surprises here, really. On the guys side, I'd have to say my top four based on Tuesday night are through, with Jermaine Jones thrown in as well for some reason. I guess I shouldn't be surprised Jones is there, given the whole "special wild card" thing. The girls side is a bit tougher, simply because there were a bunch of them worthy of moving on. None of the names voted through are surprising, but I do wish Erika Van Pelt and Hallie Day were among them.

"Sing for Your Life"rs
  • Jen Hirsh - Oh Darling (by The Beatles) - Sleepy yet indulgent version of an exciting song. Disappointing.
  • Jeremy Rosado - I Know You Won't (by Carrie Underwood) - Like "Gravity", just a different song. Oversung, but tender.
  • Brielle Von Hugel - Someone Like You (by Adele) - Yay Adele karaoke! Screamy, but nothing really new here. 
  • Deandre Brackensick - Georgia On My Mind - Better than Tuesday… but ugh, indulgent is the word.
  • Erika Van Pelt - Edge of Glory (by Lady Gaga) - Best so far. Poured her heart into this. Bravo.
  • Reed Grimm - Use Me (by Bill Withers) - Waste of a wild card chance. Underwhelming and annoying.
I skipped over the spoilers of the recap blog post, so I'll make a prediction here. I'd absolutely put Erika Van Pelt through, with Jeremy Rosado and Jen Hirsh to round out the top 13. I would have loved to see other people get the chance to sing instead of some of the selected people (Reed Grimm? Really?), but that's what I have to go with.

Wild Cards
  • Erika Van Pelt

  • Jeremy Rosado

  • Deandre Brakensick
Ugh. Well, fortunately, Deandre is likely cannon fodder.

This shall be an interesting season of Idol...