Monday, August 30, 2010

La Cage: A Revival (and Performance!) for the Ages

LA CAGE AUX FOLLES

8pm, August 25, 2010


Like Promises, Promises, I went into this show reasonably cold. I knew the story (from The Birdcage), and I knew "I Am What I Am"... but that was about it. Based on the buzz and the duo of leading actors, it was a must-see.


There was not a single moment where I did not believe Kelsey Grammar as Georges. I also don't think there was a single moment where he seemed to be acting - he WAS Georges. If I must nitpick, however, I will say that I'd seen his Georges before, in the form of Frasier. I won't slap the Nathan Lane "one GREAT trick pony" label on him, however, as Frasier and Georges are actually pretty similar roles. Since I don't see that as a problem, I can safely say that I don't have a single problem with his performance.


Douglas Hodge. Like Katie Finneran in Promises, it'd be tough to find something to say about his performance that hasn't been said and repeated ad nauseum before. At times in act one, I'll admit, I thought he was pouring it on a bit strong, but all that changed during "I Am What I Am". His performance of the song was a complete mental breakdown and buildup again, sheer brilliance. He's most certainly not the best singer to have sung the song, but I challenge anyone to find a better acted rendition. I completely understand the acclaim he's received for the role on both sides of the pond, and fully agree that it is a performance for the ages.


Any review of La Cage would be remiss in not mentioning the Cagelles, and this production does not disappoint in that department. Flips, kicks, tapping, vocals, comedic timing, stage presence... all spot-on. If there is a better, tighter ensemble on Broadway right now, I must see it immediately. 


As you can see, this review is a complete rave. I've seen a fair number of the musicals that have opened in the past few seasons one way or another, and this may well be the best of the bunch. Run, don't walk to see this show.