Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oscar Watch 2010 Wrap-Up

Right around Christmas, I decided to go ahead and do what I did a couple years back: see all of the Best Picture nominees and contenders in time for the Academy Awards. Well, I actually one-upped myself, seeing most of the films widely regarded as contenders before nominations even came out. I’m proud of myself.


Before I get to the official timmmc.com OW2010 List, I must put down something of a disclaimer. I initially used the American Film Institute’s Top 10 of 2010 list as a guideline for my list. While the list isn’t necessarily an accurate indication of which films will be nominated (the 2009 list only featured 5 of the Oscar nominees), it seemed like a good list to build upon. I did omit two films from the list: 127 HOURS (this film did not interest me, and the much talked about climactic scene turns my stomach just thinking about…. so I’ll wait on that one) and WINTER’S BONE (again, the film just did not interest me). In exchange, I added two films of my own to it: A KING’S SPEECH (did not qualify for the AFI awards, as it’s a British film) and BLUE VALENTINE. I had also intended on seeing RABBIT HOLE, but since there are no theatres near me where I can see it… it must wait. 


After the jump, the official timmmc.com OW2010 List, plus my personal locks for Oscar nominations.


The following only concerns films I have seen this year, the films on my list. 


Best Supporting Actress


The only “lock” for a nomination I have for this category is Melissa Leo for THE FIGHTER, along with Hailee Steinfield for TRUE GRIT, if she is somehow deemed supporting. Amy Adams (THE FIGHTER), Marion Cottiliard (INCEPTION), Mila Kunis (BLACK SWAN), Helena Bonham Carter (THE KING’S SPEECH) all stand a chance.


Best Supporting Actor


This award is Christian Bale’s to lose, for THE FIGHTER. Geoffrey Rush (THE KING’S SPEECH) is also a lock for a nomination. Andrew Garfield & Justin Timberlake (THE SOCIAL NETWORK), Jeremy Renner (THE TOWN) also could be in line for nominations.


Best Actress


Natalie Portman (BLACK SWAN). If Portman doesn’t win, there is no justice. Annette Bening (THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT) is likely a lock, with Michelle Williams (BLUE VALENTINE) and Julianne Moore (THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT) as possibilities for nominations.


Best Actor


Keeping with the trend, Colin Firth (THE KING’S SPEECH) has this award sewn up. I’ve got to think Jesse Eisenberg (THE SOCIAL NETWORK) is a lock for a nomination, along with Mark Wahlberg (THE FIGHTER), Jeff Bridges (TRUE GRIT), Ben Affleck (THE TOWN) and Ryan Gosling (BLUE VALENTINE) as possible nominees.


Best Director


I more or less expect this category to be a repeat of the Golden Globes. David Fincher (THE SOCIAL NETWORK), Darren Aronofsky (BLACK SWAN), Christopher Nolan (INCEPTION), Tom Hooper (THE KING’S SPEECH) and, most likely, David O. Russell (THE FIGHTER).


And without further adieu….


The Official timmmc.com Oscar Watch 2010 Top Ten List



  1. THE SOCIAL NETWORK

  2. TOY STORY 3

  3. THE KING’S SPEECH

  4. THE TOWN

  5. INCEPTION

  6. BLACK SWAN

  7. TRUE GRIT

  8. BLUE VALENTINE

  9. THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT

  10. THE FIGHTER

To me, THE SOCIAL NETWORK was the clear-cut #1 movie of the year. The script was spot on what I would have liked, the subject matter completely relevant, the performances wonderful. From 2-7, however, the movies are really bunched together for me. THE KING’S SPEECH is likely a better film than TOY STORY 3, but as you’ve read in my review, I am quite emotionally attached to TS3, giving it the slight edge. Talk to me another day, and maybe those 6 films are in a different order, they are that close in my mind (all completely different, of course, but close quality-wise). Not to knock the last 3, I’m glad I saw them, but, looking back, I shouldn’t have felt the need to rush out and see them. 


There you have it! The Oscar nominations come out on Tuesday morning, Jan 25…. if there are films nominated that I haven’t seen, I shall see those too, and update my list accordingly.