Saturday, January 1, 2011

My review of THE TOWN

I initially intended on these reviews being brief. I’ve failed at that thus far…. but I’ll try it here.






Blake Lively can act? Huh?


Simply put, I don’t think there is a single thing I disliked about this film. The direction is skilled, fast moving and thorough, making me want to watch Ben Affleck’s other films. The performances are top notch, particularly from Affleck, Jon Hamm and (surprisingly enough) Blake Lively. The screenplay, adapted from a 2004 novel by Chuck Hogan avoids most of the trappings of a typical heist flick, creating wonderfully rich, genuine characters and sheer suspense throughout.


Thinking back, I think this may be the one movie I would recommend to anyone without any qualifier (I’d recommend others, obviously, but this one is good for everyone, in my book).


Since these reviews are for my Oscar thoughts…. I have a hard time seeing this making bank at the awards (heh, see what I did there?). It doesn’t strike me as the Oscar-type, even though I’d say it deserves it. Acting nominations, possibly, directing absolutely… but Best Picture? Nomination possible, but I can’t see it winning.