Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My review of TRUE GRIT


Media_httpwwwawardsda_bcywt


I have a love/hate relationship with the Coen Brothers…. but fortunately this was more FARGO than NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN for me.


I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this movie. A remake of a western? Jeff Bridges? Matt Damon? Unknown lead? Coen Brothers? That seemed like a lot of random, unknown, hit-or-miss factors to me. The trailer did absolutely nothing for me, but it was on my list….


I loved this film. All those unknowns combined beautifully to create an entertaining, engaging, rich movie that flew right by. The scenery stunning, the dialogue quick, the action suspenseful. I really couldn’t be any more impressed, considering my thoughts coming in.


All that said, I have no idea how to handicap the Oscar chances for this film. I can easily see the Academy loving the film (though not enough for Best Picture), but I can see the Academy shrugging just as easily. I’m going to blame my unfamiliarity with the genre. So, I’ll leave it with my own thoughts… I recommend this film.