Monday, December 12, 2011

Oscar Watch 2011

It's come time for a decision, re: "Oscar Watch 2011". Last year, I'd seen 4 of the films named to the American Film Institute's Top 10 list. The AFI announced their awards recently, and I've seen a grand total of.... zero. #timmfail. There are a couple on the list that I absolutely plan on seeing (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, War Horse), a few that I planned on seeing just never got around to (Moneyball, J. Edgar, The Help), a couple that certainly intrigued me (Hugo, The Descendants), one I wouldn't mind seeing (The Tree of Life), one I absolutely avoided seeing (Bridgesmaids) and one I've only vaguely heard of (Midnight in Paris). Plus this list is only a starting point, as there are a bunch of movies this year that I've heard wonderful things about, but aren't on the list (Drive, Ides of March, 50/50... to name a few). 


So I'm putting together a list of the big buzzworthy movies, culled from various best-of lists and such... fortunately, all seem to be available for me to see (or, in some cases, will be available within the next month or so). Here's what I'm going to strive to see:


My list



  • The Adventures of Tintin - out 12/21

  • Bridesmaids - out currently on blu-ray, added to my Netflix queue.

  • Carnage - out 12/16

  • The Descendants - out in theaters now

  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - out 12/25

  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - out 12/18

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - already seen, full review to follow

  • The Help - out currently on blu-ray, added to my Netflix queue

  • Hugo - out in theaters now

  • Ides of March - out in theaters now

  • The Iron Lady - out 1/13

  • J. Edgar - out in theaters now

  • Midnight in Paris - blu-ray comes out 12/20

  • Moneyball - blu-ray comes out 1/10

  • The Tree of Life - out currently on blu-ray, added to my Netflix queue

  • War Horse - out 12/25 (though I won't be seeing it until I see the play in January)

  • We Bought a Zoo - out 12/23

  • 50/50 - out in theaters now, though may be difficult to find


Of course, as I generate this list, I think of a slew of others... but this is what I will begin with. This will be a vaunting task... but I will try my best. Hell, I may even start tonight. Stay tuned for updates!