Wednesday, April 6, 2011

American Idol S10: Top 9, Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame Week

Tonight, the top 9 tackle songs from artists in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame. When I first learned the theme, I bemoaned the seemingly narrow theme, something Nigel Lythgoe promised would not be the case. I knew the inductees are a varied bunch, but it didn’t register in my head just how varied. So, without further adieu….



  • Jacob - Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
    I love “Man in the Mirror”, one of my all-time favorite songs…. but meh. I really dislike Jacob. #ai10
    In all, a decent enough performance. Overdramatic in the typical Jacob fashion, but could have been far, far worse. 

  • Haley - Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
    There are times when using the original arrangement is a great choice, if you rock it. Haley is ROCKING it. #ai10
    Haley brilliantly changed up Elton John’s “Bennie and the Jets” last week, with fabulous results…. here she sticks to the original arrangement, with similar results. These past two weeks have been Haley’s coming out party. Ride the momentum, girl! Also, to toot my horn, I totally suggested to a friend that Haley do some Janice (I said “Cry Baby” however). 

  • Casey - Have You Ever Seen the Rain? - Creedance Clearwater Revival
    Casey bringing out the upright bass. I love this Casey. Not crazy Nirvana Casey. CCR is a great song choice. #ai10
    I really liked Casey coming out of the Hollywood round…. and this performance was why. I didn’t dig (or understand) the crazy, intense Casey seen with “Smells Like Teen Spirit” or “Heard It Through the Grapevine”. Performances like the last two weeks are MUCH better in my book.

  • Lauren - Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
    Lauren follows up her brilliant Elton week performance with a just ok performance of Aretha. Disappointing. #ai10
    This performance come off as trying too hard, frankly. I LOVE Lauren, but Aretha she is not. If she used a little more of a softer, more subdued approach to the song (the Carole King version is a PERFECT example), her performance would have been much, much better if you ask me.

  • James - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George Harrison (The Beatles)
    Fact: The Beatles are the most covered band in @AmericanIdol history. With good reason. #ai10
    That said…. did not enjoy James’s rendition of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” at all. Messy, screechy, overdramatic, too rehearsed. #ai10
    My tweet really says it all. I totally get what James was trying to do (think Adam Lambert’s “Mad World” following “Play That Funky Music”)… but the vocals weren’t there for me. Disappointing.

  • Scotty - That’s Alright Mama - Elvis
    Scotty does Elvis. Could be great… could be a mess. #ai10
    That was AWESOME. #ai10
    Country rock is RIGHT. Scotty never quite shook his awkward performance style, but this performance was awesome. The staged rushing of the stage by the chicks was awkward, but otherwise, awesome.

  • Pia - River Deep, Mountain High - Tina Turner
    Pia’s last note was a bit of an adventure… but not too shabby. Daring song choice, but I liked it. Well played, Pia. #ai10
    I enjoy Pia’s journeys from balladland. I didn’t love this particular performance, but it was definitely a strong one. What was she wearing, though?

  • Stefano - When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge
    Funny that Stefano seemingly ignored will.i.am’s (surprisingly) logical advice. He seemed behind in the opening lines. #ai10
    I apparently saw a different performance than JLo. I didn’t feel Stefano’s connection at all. Good vocals, but nothing there. #ai10
    will.i.am annoys me, but his advice to Stefano was good - drive the song, don’t let the song pull you along. This all rolls into how connected Stefano is with the lyrics…. well, he seemed to just sing again. The vocals were certainly there as usual, but that’s all. 

  • Paul - Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
    Now THIS is an interesting song choice for Paul. Folsom Prison Blues? I like! #ai10
    I love this style of music…. so I thought Paul was FANTASTIC. I’m not sure what the general public will think, though…#ai10
    Paul has returned. BIG TIME. His recent forays to ballads by Ryan Adams and Elton John always felt put on for me…. and I now see why. This is the type of music Paul is good at, it’s the type he needs to stick to. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to listen to some Mumford & Sons.

In all, this was a very strong week on Idol. No trainwrecks, which is always a plus! I’m glad the theme this week was broad enough to allow for contestants to find great song choices. If the theme was “rock”…. exactly 3 people could keep their songs. And that would be sucky. 


Winner of the Night: Maybe it’s the last performance “pimp” spot… but I have to go with Paul here. I actually applauded my TV after his performance (because I’m weird). Honorable mention to Haley, who’s quickly becoming one of my favorites).
Loser of the Night: This one’s tough tonight. I’m going to have to go with James. His intentions were crystal clear with the song choice, but it really fell flat. 
My Prediction: No, THIS one is tough tonight. With last week’s double elimination, I don’t have a bottom 3 to build off of (since I can’t see Paul there this week). Tomorrow is definitely going to be a “shocking elimination” promoted by Seacrest and Lythgoe allll day long… but it’s for a good reason this time. I’m pretty sure I would understand and be ok with each and every person surviving until next week. My bottom three, however? Stefano, Jacob and James. However, given how close everyone is, no body would surprise me being in here. As for going home… I’m afraid it’s Stefano’s time.